Plot & Details
This emotion-filled story stars Whoopi Goldberg, Mary-Louise Parker, and Drew Barrymore as three women from different walks of life who find comfort in each other through tragedy. Parker plays Robin, an HIV-positive real estate executive who meets Jane (Goldberg), a lesbian lounge singer on her way to the West Coast who needs a driver. Robin volunteers for the job, and along the way, they stop in Pittsburgh to visit her friend Holly (Barrymore), who is pregnant and abused by her boyfriend. In an attempt to save Holly, all three decide to head West together to begin a new life. But they get only as far as Arizona before Robin falls ill and the three are forced to learn to rely on one another for growth and emotional sustenance. Jane, though concerned about Robin's condition, also finds herself with a romantic interest in her ailing companion. Holly confronts her need to be with abusive men, while Robin comes to grips with her fear of being alone and the realization of her own impending death. Fans of Herbert Ross' earlier Steel Magnolias (1989) might appreciate this movie, which tackles some of the same themes. Sometimes referred to as a "feminist road movie," the film deals with women who find one another in a time of crisis and realize that the bonds among women are more powerful than any of life's obstacles.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 117min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/03/1995
- DVD Release Date: 04/27/1999
- Director(s): Herbert Ross
- Starring: Whoopi Goldberg , Mary-Louise Parker , Drew Barrymore , Matthew McConaughey , James Remar
- Themes: Unlikely Criminals,Living With AIDS,Women's Friendship
- Tone: Humorous,Quirky,Sentimental,Tearjerking,Warm
- Keywords: HIV,abuse,boyfriend,domestic-violence,friendship,lesbianism,pregnancy,real-estate-agent,singer,women
- Language: English