Plot & Details
Brain Dead was based on a script by Charles Beaumont, leading some obtuse fans to hail the "return" of that frequent Twilight Zone contributor. Actually Beaumont has been dead since 1967, so this cookie spent a long time in the oven. Stalwart supporting actor Bill Pullman is given star billing as a brilliant brain surgeon who agrees to perform an operation on a psychotic mathematician. This surgery, ostensibly, is to "adjust" the patient's attitude--and, incidentally, to unlock the corporate secrets secreted within the patient's brain. But as Pullman probes about, he begins experiencing first-hand the psycho's fevered, paranoic dreams. Pullman drifts farther and farther from reality, and the audience is implicitly invited to do the same. Bill Paxton also stars in this Roger Corman-style thriller, produced by Corman's daughter Julie.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama,Horror,Science Fiction,Thriller
- Run Time: 85min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/12/2004
- DVD Release Date: 09/26/2000
- Distributor(s): Concorde Pictures
- Director(s): Adam Simon
- Starring: Bill Pullman , Bill Paxton , Bud Cort , Nicholas Pryor , Patricia Charbonneau
- Themes: Mind Games
- Tone: Enigmatic,Humorous,Quirky,Tense
- Keywords: craziness, research, brain-surgery, delusion, doctor, ethics, experiment, identity, insanity, madness, memory, mental-health, mental-illness, mind-control, operation, paranoia
- Country of Origin: USA (01-19-1990)
- Language: English