Plot & Details
Acclaimed Japanese director Kiyoshi Kurosawa departs from the horror genre for this mystical story of urban ennui. Friends Mamoru (Tadanobu Asano) and Yuji (Joe Odagiri) are aimless young men stuck in dead-end jobs in a dreary factory in Tokyo. Mamoru, the more antisocial of the two, is obsessed with his pet project of acclimating a poisonous jellyfish to fresh water by gradually changing the water in its tank. One night, he inexplicably murders his boss' family and is sentenced to death. Yuji, left to continue the jellyfish experiment, befriends Mamoru's estranged father, and the two form a bond that helps him overcome his emotional troubles. But his attachment to the jellyfish is even stronger, and problems arise when he accidentally releases the poisonous creature into the canals of Tokyo.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 93min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/12/2004
- DVD Release Date: 03/08/2005
- Distributor(s): Palm Pictures
- Director(s): Kiyoshi Kurosawa
- Starring: Jô Odagiri , Tadanobu Asano , Tatsuya Fuji , Takashi Sasano , Marumi Shiraishi
- Themes: Unlikely Friendships
- Tone: Austere,Bleak,Deliberate,Reflective,Understated
- Keywords: alienation, fish [animal], seclusion
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (11-12-2004)
- Language: Japanese