Plot & Details
Michael J. Fox once more makes a courageous effort to shed his nice-guy image in Bright Lights, Big City. Fox plays an impressionable Kansan who comes to the Big Apple to take a job at a major magazine. It isn't long before he falls into the twin traps of drug and alcohol abuse. His only hope for redemption is in the hands of Vicky (Tracy Pollan), the cousin of his scuzzy drinking buddy Tad (Kiefer Sutherland). Jay McInerney's bestselling novel does not translate easily to the big screen, but Fox strives hard to please, as do all of his costars. The white stuff snorted by Fox wasn't really cocaine, but powdered milk. Watch for Frasier's David Hyde Pierce in a small role and Jason Robards in a significant unbilled cameo.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 110min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/01/1988
- DVD Release Date: 08/05/2003
- Distributor(s): UA Communications
- Director(s): James Bridges
- Starring: Michael J. Fox , Kiefer Sutherland , Phoebe Cates , Swoosie Kurtz , Frances Sternhagen
- Themes: Drug Addiction,Innocence Lost
- Tone: Bleak,Downbeat,Slick,Flashy
- Keywords: alcoholism, big-city, cocaine, drug-addiction, journalism, magazine, nightlife, small-town, yuppies
- Country of Origin: USA (04-01-1988)