Plot & Details
MGM's third follow-up to its landmark Broadway Melody is short on story, but that's okay, since the plot is merely a clothesline upon which to hang sleek and opulent musical production numbers by Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell -- particularly a breathless and eye-popping gloriously black-and-white six-minute tap dance finale between Astaire and Powell to Cole Porter's "Begin the Beguine." The tale itself is a typical backstage contrivance: Johnny Brett (Fred Astaire) and King Shaw (George Murphy) are a couple of hoofers working in a dance hall for peanuts. Due to mistaken identity, King gets tapped for the lead in a Broadway show opposite big star Clare Bennett (Eleanor Powell) rather than Johnny. But when King drowns his trouble in booze on opening night, Johnny covers for him, taking his place in the show.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Family,Musicals
- Run Time: 103min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/11/2007
- DVD Release Date: 04/22/2003
- Director(s): Norman Taurog
- Starring: Fred Astaire , Eleanor Powell , George Murphy , Frank Morgan , Ian Hunter
- Themes: Rags To Riches,Mistaken Identities,Bohemian Life,Dancer's Life
- Tone: Bittersweet,Stylized,Bright,Lavish
- Keywords: friendship, rival, Broadway, alcoholism, backstage, dance [art], love-triangle, partner, show-business
- Language: English