Plot & Details
Jake Gyllenhaal, the young star of the critically well-received October Sky (1999), follows up that film with this offbeat comedy. Gyllenhaal stars as Jimmy Livingston, a teenager with an immune system deficiency who has spent his entire life living in a plastic bubble under the doting, overprotective care of his mother (Swoosie Kurtz). Jimmy is in love with his next-door neighbor Chloe (Marley Shelton), so when he learns that she has left for Niagara Falls in order to be married, he's devastated. He quickly assembles a portable "bubble suit" and sets out on a 2,755.8-mile odyssey in order to stop her and proclaim his affection. Along the way, Jimmy experiences a number of adventures, including encounters with freaks, bikers, rock stars, and a cult. Bubble Boy is a comic riff on the classic TV movie The Boy in the Plastic Bubble (1976), which starred a young John Travolta.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 84min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 08/24/2001
- DVD Release Date: 01/15/2002
- Distributor(s): Buena Vista
- Director(s): Blair Hayes
- Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal , Swoosie Kurtz , Marley Shelton , Danny Trejo , John Carroll Lynch
- Themes: Mothers and Sons,Otherwise Engaged,Obsessive Quests,Nothing Goes Right,Journey of Self-Discovery
- Tone: Bright,Goofy,Irreverent,Quirky,Satirical,Silly,Ironic
- Keywords: engagement,immune-deficiency,journey,mother,repression,teenagers,wedding-plans
- Country of Origin: USA (08-24-2001)
- Language: English