Plot & Details
Actor Vincent Gallo (The Funeral, Palookaville) made his feature directorial debut with this drama about convict Billy Brown (Gallo), released after half a decade spent behind bars. Drifting into downtown Buffalo, Billy kidnaps teen Layla (Christina Ricci) and has her pose as his loving wife when he visits his parents (Ben Gazzara and Anjelica Huston). Layla praises him and goes along with his fanciful tale that they met at CIA headquarters, where they both worked. Mom and dad not only fall for this, they are entranced by Layla, who soon begins to embellish her act. When she claims to be pregnant by Billy, he hustles her out to a bowling alley and on to a restaurant, where they run into trampy Wendy (Rosanna Arquette), who might be Billy's former girlfriend. Eventually, Billy seems ready to track down and kill the person he feels was responsible for his five years in the slammer. Shown at the 1998 Sundance Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 120min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/26/1998
- DVD Release Date: 02/01/2000
- Distributor(s): Paramount
- Director(s): Vincent Gallo
- Starring: Vincent Gallo , Christina Ricci , Anjelica Huston , Ben Gazzara , Kevin Corrigan
- Themes: Criminal's Revenge,Haunted By the Past,Eccentric Families,Redemption,Righting the Wronged,Obsessive Quests
- Tone: Talky,Wry,Austere,Humorous,Elegiac,Melancholy,Drab,Quirky
- Keywords: bowling, crush, ex-convict, father, football, girlfriend, kidnapping, mother, murder, parent/child-relationship
- Country of Origin: USA (06-26-1998),USA (07-10-1998)
- Language: English