Plot & Details
Robin Williams stars in this oddball comedy about a fast-talking car salesman who is down on his luck and in over his head until an extreme situation forces him to use his sales skills to save lives. Joey O'Brien (Williams) is the stereotypical car salesman: enterprising, aggressive, and desperate to make enough money to spend on his high-maintenance girlfriends. But suddenly the pressure is really on: he owes money to the mob, his ex-wife is nagging him about not spending enough time with their teenage daughter, and if he doesn't sell at least a dozen cars by the time the big sale is over on Saturday, he's going to lose his job. As Joey attempts to placate several potential buyers, his day is interrupted by Larry (Tim Robbins), the insanely jealous husband of dimwitted showroom receptionist Donna (Annabella Sciorra), who's been having an affair with someone who works at the dealership. With the police surrounding the place, his job (and life) on the line, Joey realizes that it's up to him to use his wits to persuade Larry -- who's not even sure what he wants out of the situation -- not to kill anyone.
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 95min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 05/18/1990
- DVD Release Date: 04/16/2002
- Distributor(s): Orion
- Director(s): Roger Donaldson
- Starring: Robin Williams , Tim Robbins , Pamela Reed , Fran Drescher , Zack Norman
- Themes: Hostage Situations
- Tone: Madcap,Quirky
- Keywords: alimony, gangster, girlfriend, hostage, car-salesman, career, race-against-time, revenge
- Country of Origin: USA (05-18-1990)
- Language: English