Plot & Details
A mournful look at the last days of opera diva Maria Callas, director Franco Zeffirelli's biographical drama attempts to explore the irresistible allure of a comeback for a fallen star who hungers for the success of her past. Weathered from the excess of the previous decade and with her best performances long behind her, Callas (Fanny Ardant) withdraws to her Paris apartment to live her final days in seclusion. Despite being ravaged by a throat disease and being stuck in an extended period of mourning following the death of her true love, Callas' manager Larry Kelly (Jeremy Irons) nevertheless suggests that the former reigning queen of opera attempt a spectacular comeback. Though she is physically unable to perform the pieces the way that she once did, the suggestion to lip-sync to recordings of her previous performances offers a tentative chance for latter day fame. Despite her belief that lip-syncing her performance would be dishonest to her fans, the prospect of performing Carmen, an opera that she once recorded but never performed on stage, offers Callas one last shot at reliving her former glory.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Drama,Foreign
- Run Time: 108min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/05/2004
- DVD Release Date: 06/21/2005
- Distributor(s): Regent Ent.
- Director(s): Franco Zeffirelli
- Starring: Fanny Ardant , Jeremy Irons , Joan Plowright , Jay Rodan , Gabriel Garko
- Themes: Starting Over,Musician's Life
- Tone: Bittersweet,Sentimental
- Keywords: comeback, diva, opera, opera-singer
- Country of Origin: France (09-18-2002),USA - Limited (11-05-2004)