Plot & Details
George Segal plays rich and surly California executive Walter Whitney, who learns out-of-the-blue that he has a 17-year-old black son, in Michael Schultz's lightweight Carbon Copy. When his son Roger Porter (Denzel Washington) arrives, Walter tries to pass him off to his neighbors in the restricted all-white suburb as a sociological experiment. But when he eventually confesses his parenthood to his wife Vivian (Susan Saint James), his world is turned upside down. In a flash, all the trophies of upper-class white respectability are removed -- he loses his job, his credit cards are revoked, and Vivian throws him out of the house. Without the white man's trappings, he is forced to accept the help of downtrodden minorities. When he is compelled to manual labor, Walter comes to understand the troubles his son goes through.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 92min.
- DVD Release Date: 03/02/2004
- Director(s): Michael Schultz
- Starring: George Segal , Susan Saint James , Jack Warden , Denzel Washington , Paul Winfield
- Themes: Class Differences,Suburban Dysfunction,Race Relations,Fathers and Sons
- Tone: Biting,Easygoing,Goofy,Irreverent,Light,Satirical,Whimsical
- Keywords: discrimination, father, racism, son, teenagers, advertising-executive, cross-cultural-relations, generation-gap, life-changes
- Language: English