Plot & Details
John Hughes strip-mines familiar terrain -- in this case his own past successes -- in this comedy that Hughes produced and scripted, directed by Bryan Gordon. Frank Whaley stars as Jim Dodge, a 21-year-old con-man who goes from job to job but likes to put on a facade of success. As Career Opportunities begins, he has just been fired from another job and has been hired by the local Target store manager (played by an un-credited John Candy) as the night cleanup boy. After the manager locks Jim in the store overnight, he goes on a binge -- playing with the skates, eating candy, watching television, and blasting the stereos. But then Jim discovers that he is not the only person in the store. Also there is rich girl Josie McClellan (Jennifer Connelly) who is spending the night in the store to get her father worried about her. Although Jim knew Josie in high school, when Josie wouldn't even give him the time of day, here they click like two castanets and they romp around the store aisles to a pounding rock score. But just at the moment when Jim and Josie plan to run away together with the $52,000 Josie holds in her purse, two low-rent comic thieves -- Nestor Pyle (Dermot Mulroney) and Gil Kinney (Kieran Mulroney) -- break into the store and Jim and Josie decide to stick it out, saving the store from the bumbling crooks.
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 83min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/29/1991
- DVD Release Date: 10/27/1998
- Distributor(s): Universal
- Director(s): Bryan Gordon
- Starring: Frank Whaley , Jennifer Connelly , Dermot Mulroney , John M. Jackson , Kieran Mulroney
- Themes: Opposites Attract,Unlikely Heroes
- Tone: Earnest,Goofy,Humorous,Light,Quirky,Easygoing
- Keywords: janitor, adolescence, coming-of-age, forbidden-love, robbery, self-discovery, shoplifting, teenagers
- Country of Origin: USA (03-29-1991)
- Language: English