Plot & Details
Temistocles Lopez's Chain of Desire, based on Arthur Schnitzler's La Ronde, plays like an AIDS-era version of The Yellow Rolls Royce, in which a series of unrelated amorous lovers are connected by a "chain of desire." The film begins as Alma D'Angeli (Linda Fiorentino) flees from a lover and runs into a church, where she finds solace and a young Latino worker, Jesus (Elias Koteas). They make love. Then Jesus comes home to his wife Isa (Angel Aviles) and gets intimate with her. The next morning, Isa goes off to see Dr. Jerald Buckley (Patrick Bauchau), with whom she is having an affair. After seeing Isa, Jerald heads off to visit Linda (Grace Zabriskie), a sexy dominatrix. Linda returns home to her husband, Hubert (Malcolm MacDowell), a harried television commentator. After an unsatisfactory interview with women who claim to have had affairs with John F. Kennedy, he relieves his tensions by seeking the arms of Keith (Jamie Harrold), a teenage hustler. And the trail continues on as gay social worker Ken (Tim Guinee) offers Ken a place for the night, followed by Ken's lover David Bango (Dewey Martin) and hot dancer Diana (Holly Marie Combs), who wants David to deflower her. Coming on the scene after that is famed artist Mel (Seymour Cassel), who has a tryst with Diana, but he finds that he has to answer to his vindictive wife, Cleo (Assumpta Serna). At the end, all the characters arrive at a hip nightclub, where Alma, the singer at the club, has learned that the lover she had spurned at the beginning of the film has been diagnosed with AIDS.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Foreign
- Run Time: 107min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 05/16/1993
- Director(s): Temistocles Lopez
- Starring: Linda Fiorentino , Elias Koteas , Grace Zabriskie , Tim Guinee , Assumpta Serna
- Themes: Romantic Betrayal,Class Differences,Self-Destructive Romance,Crumbling Marriages,Crimes of Passion,Looking For Love
- Tone: Confrontational,Passionate,Racy,Raunchy,Sexual,Sexy,Slick,Decadent
- Keywords: love, peeping-tom, romance, search, Generation-X, exhibitionist, love-triangle, obsession, phone-sex, sex