Plot & Details
American film historian and author Richard Schickel directs the documentary Charlie: The Life and Art of Charles Chaplin. Schickel offers an exploration into Chaplin's life, from his childhood in London until his death in 1977. The film also contains insight on his multifaceted film career and much-publicized private life. Includes archive footage, film clips, and narration by Sydney Pollack. Interwoven with the vintage bits are contemporary interviews with Hollywood personas such as Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese, and Johnny Depp. Chaplin's children Michael and Geraldine also provide contributions. Charlie was shown at the Edinburgh International Film Festival in 2003.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Documentary,Special Interest
- Run Time: 132min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/20/2003
- Distributor(s): Warner Home Video
- Director(s): Richard Schickel
- Starring: Sydney Pollack , Charles Chaplin , Woody Allen , Robert Downey, Jr. , Johnny Depp
- Themes: Tortured Genius,Actor's Life
- Tone: Affectionate,Bittersweet,Intimate,Reflective
- Keywords: actor, career-retrospective, composer, controversial, exile, film-director, interview, love-affair, persecution, scandal
- Language: English