Plot & Details
The husband-and-wife team of Mary Cybulski and John Tintori (creators of the acclaimed short Manhattan Dinner) directed this Will Kern screenplay which he adapted from his 1992 play Hellcab about a winter's day in the life of a Windy City driver, beginning at 6am in 20 below zero degree weather. Johnny (Paul Dillon) is that rare type of cab driver who will drive anywhere and pick up anyone, and during the 14 hours compressed here into 95 minutes, he ferries about some two-dozen passengers, including a rape victim (Julianne Moore), a hyped-up drug runner, a pregnant woman, and holiday shoppers. Johnny is frustrated that he can't seem to make genuine connections with his passengers or help them. Instead, he can only observe a rear-view image mirroring the passing parade of humanity. Shown at Austin's 1998 South By Southwest Filmfest.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 95min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/18/1998
- DVD Release Date: 03/15/2005
- Distributor(s): Castle Hill
- Director(s): John Tintori, Mary Cybulski
- Starring: Paul Dillon , Michael Ironside , Laurie Metcalf , John C. Reilly , Gillian Anderson
- Tone: Humorous,Intimate,Quirky,Talky,Witty,Ironic
- Keywords: big-city, businessperson, cab-driver, grief, rape
- Country of Origin: USA (09-25-1998)
- Language: English