Plot & Details
This sweeping historical epic has sometimes been labelled the Gone with the Wind of Japan; at any rate, it's almost the same length as Gone (the film was originally released in two parts). Chusha Ichikawa plays a powerful and ruthless feudal lord who battles virtuous young noble Yuzo Kayama. Ichikawa is temporarily victorious when he tricks Kayama into committing Hara Kiri. Vengeance is meted out by Kayama's forty-seven samurai retainers. Based on a venerable Japanese legend, the story of Chushingura has been filmed several times, but only the 1941 version (47 Ronin) matched the grandeur of director Hiroshi Inagaki's 1962 version. In some English-speaking countries, Chushingura has been released in a shorter version titled The Loyal 47 Ronin.
- Genre(s): Drama,Epic and Historical
- Run Time: 115min.
- DVD Release Date: 10/21/1998
- Director(s): Hiroshi Inagaki
- Starring: Koshiro Matsumoto , Yuzo Kayama , Chusha Ichikawa , Toshiro Mifune , Yoko Tsukasa
- Themes: Heroic Mission,Righting the Wronged
- Tone: Atmospheric,Austere,Autumnal,Bleak,Literate
- Keywords: Japan, arrest, attack, castle, corruption, courage, death, death-penalty, fidelity, lord, master [expert], samurai, sword, throne, trick, wound [injury], feudalism, hara-kiri, honor [recognition], revenge, suicide
- Language: Japanese