Plot & Details
Sixty-five years after making his screen debut as a young stoker in co-directors Noël Coward and David Lean's World War II drama In Which We Serve, Richard Attenborough perfects the balance between epic story and intimate tale with this drama starring Shirley MacLaine and Neve Campbell as a mother and daughter who find a relic from the past sparking an incendiary series of events. The year is 1991, and as a small American town mourns the passing of beloved World War II veteran Chuck Harris, his wife Ethel (MacLaine) numbs herself with alcohol to the point where she completely neglects her grieving daughter Marie (Campbell). Later, after Marie receives a telephone call from a boy in Northern Ireland who claims to have recently discovered a ring belonging to Ethel, a mystery nearly five decades in the making comes slowly into focus as the story drifts back into Chuck's wartime past and the days when he and Ethel first formed their powerful bond.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama,Romance
- Run Time: 119min.
- DVD Release Date: 01/27/2009
- Distributor(s): Weinstein Co.
- Director(s): Richard Attenborough
- Starring: Shirley MacLaine , Christopher Plummer , Mischa Barton , Stephen Amell , Neve Campbell
- Themes: Mothers and Daughters,Death in the Family
- Tone: Sweeping
- Keywords: Ireland, daughter, grief, mother, ring [jewelry], veteran [military]
- Language: English