Plot & Details
Though not acknowledged by contemporary reviewers, Colorado Territory is a westernized remake of the 1941 crime drama High Sierra. Raoul Walsh, director of the earlier film, returns to helm the remake, doing a grand job on both occasions. Joel McCrea stars in the Humphrey Bogart role, playing a veteran outlaw who hopes to pull off one last, spectacular heist. Virginia Mayo portrays the Ida Lupino counterpart, a "bad" dance-hall girl who proves to be the only person who genuinely cares about McCrea's well-being. As in the earlier film, the climax finds McCrea making a futile bid for escape in the mountains, with tragic consequences. High Sierra was good for at least one more remake, the 1955 Jack Palance-Shelley Winters starrer I Died a Thousand Times.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Westerns
- Run Time: 94min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 08/29/2004
- Director(s): Raoul Walsh
- Starring: Joel McCrea , Virginia Mayo , Dorothy Malone , Henry Hull , John Archer
- Themes: Vigilantes,Femmes Fatales,Perfect Crime,One Last Heist
- Tone: Moody,Gritty,Stylized,Atmospheric,Cynical,Tense
- Keywords: outlaw [Western], territory, bank-robbery, dance-hall-girl, escape, mountains, trapped