Plot & Details
At first glance, How to Dial a Murder would seem to be a TV remake of Orson Welles' Citizen Kane. But no, it's a 90-minute installment in the Columbo series, as we soon discover. Nicol Williamson guest stars as a wealthy psychologist and movie buff. He has already murdered his wife, and now he intends to do in her lover. To deflect suspicion from himself, he sets up the killing by phone. The victim-to-be answers, is prodded into repeating the word "Rosebud"-and is then torn asunder by Williamson's dobermans, who've been conditioned to attack upon hearing this verbal clue. Williamson manages to be miles away when the murder is pulled off. Still, the diligent Lt. Columbo (Peter Falk) manages to beard the culprit in his memorabilia-laden den. How to Dial a Murder originally aired April 15, 1978.
- Genre(s): Crime and Mystery,Drama,Thriller
- Run Time: 78min.
- Director(s): James Frawley
- Themes: Treacherous Spouses,Unlikely Criminals,Star Detectives
- Tone: Literate,Quirky,Talky,Tense,Wry
- Keywords: crime-solving,dog,murder,police-detective,psychology
- Language: English