Plot & Details
Set in the woodlands of Wisconsin, Come and Get It stars Edward Arnold as a logger-turned-lumber tycoon. In his rise to the top, Arnold loses out on a chance for lasting happiness by spurning earthy dance hall girl (Frances Farmer), who marries his best pal (Walter Brennan) on the rebound. Marrying for position rather than love, Arnold becomes a society leader in Milwaukee. His son (Joel McCrea) falls in love with the daughter of Arnold's first love (Frances Farmer plays both mother and daughter). Himself smitten by the daughter, Arnold battles with his son over the girl's affection, only to be shocked back into his senses when the girl reprimands his son, "Don't hit him! He's an old man!" Based on a novel by Edna Ferber, Come & Get It carries two directorial credits: William Wyler was dismissed early on by producer Sam Goldwyn, and when Howard Hawks took over, it was on the proviso that Wyler be given co-directing billing. For his performance as Edward Arnold's Scandinavian cohort, Walter Brennan won the first-ever "best supporting actor" Oscar.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Action,Drama,Romance
- Run Time: 99min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/27/2002
- DVD Release Date: 02/09/1999
- Distributor(s): United Artists (Samuel Goldwyn)
- Director(s): William Wyler, Howard Hawks
- Starring: Edward Arnold , Joel McCrea , Frances Farmer , Walter Brennan , Andrea Leeds
- Themes: Love Triangles,Fathers and Sons
- Tone: Poignant,Rousing,Stylized,Sweeping,Earthy
- Keywords: daughter, logger, love-triangle, love-vs-career, lumber-tycoon, son
- Language: English