Plot & Details
In a gritty small town, 15-year-old Alice and her mother, Diane, a larger-than-life former actress, cling to each other and the fantasy of a better life. Bernadette Peters is transfixing as the domineering Diane, a woman with enormous problems and a titanic personality to match. She shuttles her teenage daughter Alice (in a terrific performance by Rachel Brosnahan), across small-town America, confronting bad neighborhoods, money woes, failed love affairs and depression. Larger-than-life Diane overwhelms everyone around her, which brings up a sticky question: is she fit to raise a child? A disturbing yet tender portrait of a theatrical mother and her impressionable daughter as they desperately cling to shreds of hope and dreams of a better life. 'Coming Up Roses' is a haunting coming-of-age story about a mother-daughter forced to choose between reality and fantasy, their love for each other and survival.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 93min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/09/2012
- Distributor(s): Dada Films
- Starring: Bernadette Peters , Peter Friedman , Rachel Brosnahan , Reyna De Courcy , Shannon Esper
- Themes: Life in the Arts,Mothers and Daughters,Small-Town Life
- Tone: Poignant,Sentimental
- Keywords: depression, reality, recession
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (11-09-2012)
- Language: English