Plot & Details
Contempt is the story of the end of a marriage. Camille (Brigitte Bardot) falls out of love with her husband Paul (Michel Piccoli) while he is rewriting the screenplay Odyssey by American producer Jeremiah Prokosch (Jack Palance). Just as the director of Prokosch's film, Fritz Lang, says that The Odyssey is the story of individuals confronting their situations in a real world, Le Mépris itself is an examination of the position of the filmmaker in the commercial cinema. Godard himself was facing this situation in the production of Le Mépris. Italian producer Carlo Ponti had given him the biggest budget of his career, and he found himself working with a star of Bardot's magnitude for the first time.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 102min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 12/18/1964
- DVD Release Date: 12/10/2002
- Distributor(s): BFI, Cocinor
- Director(s): Jean-Luc Godard
- Starring: Brigitte Bardot , Michel Piccoli , Jack Palance , Fritz Lang , Giorgia Moll
- Themes: Creative Block,Writer's Life,Boss from Hell,Work Ethics,Filmmaking
- Tone: Biting,Cynical,Deliberate,Literate,Talky,Reflective,Satirical
- Keywords: director, filmmaker, producer [showbiz], accident, behind-the-scenes, car, love-triangle
- Country of Origin: Italy (10-29-1963),France (12-20-1963)
- Language: English,French