Plot & Details
Michael Apted directed and Lawrence Kasdan wrote the screenplay for this diverting romantic comedy -- a film that attempts to recapture the spirit of an old Spencer Tracy-Katharine Hepburn vehicle. A very subdued John Belushi plays a star columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times named Ernie Souchak (but loosely based on columnist Mike Royko), who uses his column as a direct line to report on the dirty dealings at Chicago City Hall. When his political reports on a local corrupt alderman get too hot, Ernie is sent to the Rocky Mountains to do a fluff piece on reclusive ornithologist Nell Porter (Blair Brown). Ernie arrives at her mountain hideaway, but Nell is hostile and orders him to leave. Ernie informs her that his guide won't return for a few weeks and she reluctantly permits him to stay. The two first learn to put up with each other and then their aversion slowly turns into love.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Comedy,Romance
- Run Time: 103min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/23/2003
- DVD Release Date: 04/01/2003
- Distributor(s): Universal
- Director(s): Michael Apted
- Starring: John Belushi , Blair Brown , Allen Garfield , Carlin Glynn , Tony Ganios
- Themes: Fish Out of Water,Opposites Attract
- Tone: Easygoing,Heartwarming,Humorous,Quirky,Wry
- Keywords: columnist, newspaper, romance, city-slicker, ecology, ideals, journalism, love, naturalist, ornithology, politician, wilderness
- Language: English