Plot & Details
Cremaster 3 is the final installment of the five-part epic film cycle from director and sculpture artist Matthew Barney. Encompassing a dizzying number of themes, this elaborately stylized experimental film showcases Barney's affinity for architecture and sex. Much of the highly symbolic imagery involves Celtic mythology and phallic references, with Barney himself appearing as the Entered Apprentice and sculptor Richard Serra playing architect Hiram Abiff. Some of the settings include the Chrysler Building in New York City, the Saratoga race track, and the Guggenheim museum ( where much of Barney's work is actually shown). Spatially driven rather than narratively, the film is a display of visual effects and impulses with little to no dialogue. All five parts of the film cycle (titled out of sequence) can be seen at art galleries, though Barney has been known to give out video copies with the purchase of his sculptures. Cremaster 3 was shown in the Frontier program at the 2003 Sundance Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Art and Experimental
- Run Time: 182min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 05/10/2002
- DVD Release Date: 08/26/2003
- Distributor(s): No Studio
- Director(s): Matthew Barney
- Starring: Richard Serra , Matthew Barney , Aimee Mullins , Paul Brady , Terry Gillespie
- Tone: Disturbing,Dreamlike,Enigmatic,Hallucinatory,Lyrical,Sexual,Stylized,Visceral
- Keywords: Celtic, architecture, image [picture], museum, penis, racetrack, sex, skyscraper
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (04-25-2003)
- Language: English