Plot & Details
The late, great Richard Pryor stars in this farcical comedy about a small-time businessman who feigns insanity to get out of prison, and poses as a doctor during a hospital blackout. Eddie (Pryor) was on the path to success when he made the mistake of dealing with a loan shark. Now, the judge is about to toss him in prison and throw away the key. When Eddie plays the crazy card, the guards transfer him to the psychiatric ward at a Staten Island hospital. Later, a hurricane plunges the hospital into darkness, and Eddie poses as a doctor to make his escape. But his ruse works to well, and before Eddie can leave he is swept into the E.R. There, a series of comic miscommunications leave Eddie in charge if the entire hospital. Now as the patients flood in, Eddie must maintain the act until he can make a clean getaway. Bob Saget, Garrett Morris, Joe Mantegna, and Rachel Ticotin co-star.
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 99min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 01/16/1987
- DVD Release Date: 07/06/2004
- Distributor(s): Paramount
- Director(s): Michael Apted
- Starring: Richard Pryor , Rachel Ticotin , Rubén Blades , Joe Mantegna , Bob Dishy
- Themes: Cons and Scams,Assumed Identities
- Tone: Goofy,Irreverent,Madcap,Raunchy
- Keywords: blackout [power loss], craziness, hurricane, mental-institution, con/scam, doctor/nurse, escapades, escape, impersonation, masquerade, power-failure
- Country of Origin: USA (01-16-1987)
- Language: English