Plot & Details
A passion for blues music is evident in this drama based on a contest-winning script by former blues musician John Fusco -- and featuring one of the decade's best-received motion picture soundtracks, written and performed by Ry Cooder. Eugene Martone Ralph Macchio is a classically trained guitarist who desperately wants to locate a long-lost blues song. At a Harlem nursing home, Eugene finds Willie Brown (Joe Seneca), a legendary blues man who may be able to help him. Eugene becomes part of the master guitarist's scheme to reclaim his soul from the Devil, which he sold in exchange for musical greatness at a rural crossroads many decades before. Making their way across the Mississippi Delta, the duo meets Frances (Jami Gertz), a runaway who becomes a love interest for Eugene. After launching his career with the sale of his script for Crossroads (1986), which is loosely based on the mythical character of Faust and a fable involving real-life blues legend Robert Johnson (played in the film by Tim Russ), Fusco went on to write the highly successful Young Guns (1988).
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 100min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/14/1986
- DVD Release Date: 08/10/2004
- Distributor(s): Columbia Pictures
- Director(s): Walter Hill
- Starring: Ralph Macchio , Joe Seneca , Jami Gertz , Joe Morton , Robert Judd
- Themes: Culture Clash,Musician's Life,Deal With the Devil
- Tone: Atmospheric,Earnest,Enigmatic,Gritty,Intimate,Moody,Passionate
- Keywords: blues-music, crossroads, devil, guitar, road-trip, songs, soul
- Country of Origin: USA (03-14-1986)
- Language: English