Plot & Details
A man finds his personal and professional loyalties divides by his new career at a casino in this crime drama. Jack Manfred (Clive Owen) is a cocky, supremely confident man who wants to be a writer. Jack's long struggle to finish his first novel has landed him deep in debt, and his father (Nicholas Ball) volunteers to get him a job in a casino in London. While Jack doesn't gamble himself, he has the dexterity (and enough contempt for the game) to be a good dealer. He's soon making a tidy living as a dealer, despite the objections of his girlfriend, Marion (Gina McKee), who thinks his job is taking him away from his true calling as a writer. Against the orders of his boss, Jack has a fling with Bella (Kate Hardie), another dealer at the casino, and allows himself to be seduced by one of his customers, Jani (Alex Kingston). However, it turns out Jani wants more than sex from Jack; she and her compatriots have a plan to rob the casino and they want Jack to be their man on the inside. Croupier was directed by Mike Hodges, whose first film was the classic British thriller Get Carter.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Action,Drama
- Run Time: 91min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/21/2000
- DVD Release Date: 12/18/2001
- Distributor(s): The Shooting Gallery
- Director(s): Mike Hodges
- Starring: Clive Owen , Kate Hardie , Alex Kingston , Gina McKee , Nicholas Ball
- Themes: Femmes Fatales,Creative Block,Cons and Scams,Gambling,Writer's Life
- Tone: Cerebral,Matter-of-Fact,Meditative,Understated,Wry,Reflective,Chilly,Deliberate,Nocturnal
- Keywords: British,casino,debt,father,gambling,girlfriend,novel,robbery,writer
- Country of Origin: USA (04-21-2000)
- Language: English