Plot & Details
New York City detective Steve Burns Al Pacino receives orders from Captain Edelson Paul Sorvino to solve a series of brutal murders in the gay community. Steve scours the gay bars that caters to same-sex sadomasochism in a desperate attempt to solve the crime. As he infiltrates the scene, he slowly comes loose from the moorings of his own reality, and an innocent victim is tortured by the cops in an effort to exact a confession. The story is based on actual murders that took place between 1962 and 1979. The film gained considerable publicity because of the controversial subject matter while censor argued between an X and R rating for the feature.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama,Thriller
- Run Time: 106min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/07/2000
- DVD Release Date: 09/18/2007
- Distributor(s): No Studio
- Director(s): William Friedkin
- Starring: Al Pacino , Paul Sorvino , Karen Allen , Richard Cox , Don Scardino
- Themes: Serial Killers,Questioning Sexuality,Going Undercover
- Tone: Bleak,Cynical,Visceral,Sexual,Grim,Harsh,Lurid
- Keywords: investigator, killing, serial-killer, homosexual, love, masochism, murder, psychopath, ritual, robbery, sadist, undercover