Plot & Details
As the title song says, you go to those shows to see those beautiful dames--and there's dames aplenty in this 1934 Busby Berkeley extravaganza. The wisp of a plot is motivated by one Ezra Ounce (Hugh Herbert), a silly millionaire who spearheads a national anti-fun movement. Ounce's distant cousin Dick Powell is a producer of musical comedies. Ounce's partner is Guy Kibbee, whose daughter is Ruby Keeler. Kibbee is also the "sugar daddy" of Joan Blondell, Powell's friend and co-worker. Fill in the rest of the blanks yourself. If the plot doesn't interest you (and there's no reason why it should), sit back and enjoy the humongous production numbers based on the Warren/Dubin songs "I Only Have Eyes for You", "The Girl on the Ironing Board", and of course the title number.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Family,Musicals,Romance
- Run Time: 95min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/20/2001
- DVD Release Date: 03/21/2006
- Distributor(s): Warner Brothers
- Director(s): Ray Enright
- Starring: Joan Blondell , Dick Powell , Ruby Keeler , ZaSu Pitts , Guy Kibbee
- Themes: Success is the Best Revenge
- Tone: Light,Merry,Stylized
- Keywords: love, millionaire, romance, backstage, boyfriend, chorus-girl, morals, musical [play], producer [showbiz]
- Language: English