Plot & Details
Small-town America is the key setting for this tale of four West Texas high-school pals who vowed to leave their tiny town after graduation and head for L.A. Keller (Breckin Meyer) is ready to walk, but his goals are formless. Wealthy Terrell Lee Lusk (Peter Facinelli) knows his parents (Patricia Wettig, Michael O'Neill) want him to work in their family oil business. Squirrel (Ethan Embry), who lives with his alcoholic father in a rundown trailer, should find escape easy, but he finds reasons to stay, as does John Hemphill (Eddie Mills), a young man more suited for life as a rancher. Leaving was something the quartet dreamed about since age 11, but the actual departure requires ripping up some roots. Will they do it? Director Tim McCanlies shot this film in 25 days at Fort Davis, Texas. Shown at the 1998 South by Southwest Film Festival (Austin, Texas).
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Comedy,Foreign
- Run Time: 105min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/07/1998
- DVD Release Date: 10/14/1998
- Distributor(s): Paramount
- Director(s): Tim McCanlies
- Starring: Breckin Meyer , Peter Facinelli , Eddie Mills , Ethan Embry , Ashley Johnson
- Themes: Faltering Friendships,Small-Town Life,Men's Friendship
- Tone: Gentle,Summery,Wistful,Bittersweet,Wry,Affectionate,Reflective,Talky,Easygoing
- Keywords: dreams, dreams-of-success, escape, high-school
- Language: English