Plot & Details
This musical comedy stars William Powell as Emery Slade, who was once a major film star but lately isn't getting much work. Arrogantly determined to climb back to the top, Slade convinces studio chief Melville Crossman (Adolphe Menjou) to give him the male lead in the film version of a Broadway musical. However, Crossman's offer comes with a catch: Emery has to persuade the show's female lead to appear in the movie. Slade heads to New York to seal the deal, but instead he discovers a gifted young unknown named Julie Clark (Betsy Drake) and decides she's perfect for the role. Crossman is not too enthusiastic about this news, and neither is publicist Bill Davis (Mark Stevens), who is given his pink slip along with Slade. However, Slade is determined to make a career for Julie in Hollywood, though it's not until later that he realizes why he feels so strongly about her. Movie buffs will get a kick out of Menjou's performance, closely modeled on 20th Century Fox boss Darryl F. Zanuck.
- Genre(s): Comedy,Family,Musicals
- Run Time: 92min.
- Director(s): Irving G. Reis
- Starring: William Powell , Mark Stevens , Betsy Drake , Adolphe Menjou , Randy Stuart
- Themes: Ladder to the Top,Cinderella Stories,All Washed Up,Actor's Life
- Tone: Nostalgic,Bright,Fanciful,Light,Witty,Heartwarming,Rousing
- Keywords: Broadway,Hollywood,actor,agent [representative],film-industry,has-been,love,musical [play],parent/child-relationship,publicity,screen-test,show-business,stars [celebrities],talent,unknown