Plot & Details
This well-made Australian blend of Jaws and Alligator is a tense, action-packed thriller involving a monstrous crocodile, a tough ranger (John Jarratt), and a team of aborigines who worship the monster as the god "Numunwari." This leads to lots of gory clashes with the reptile, interwoven with some interesting tribal lore surrounding the legendary croc and a subplot involving a psychic connection between the beast and one of the aborigines. The climactic battle puts a sympathetic spin on the plight of Numunwari, believed to be the last of his kind -- but his unpleasant habit of snapping people in half makes it a bit difficult to muster up enough empathy for the monster. Based on a novel by Grahame Webb.
- Genre(s): Horror,Thriller
- Run Time: 90min.
- Director(s): Arch Nicholson
- Starring: John Jarratt , Nikki Coghill , Max Phipps , Burnham Burnham , David Gulpilil
- Themes: When Animals Attack,Terror in the Water
- Tone: Forceful,Gritty,Menacing,Ominous,Tense,Visceral
- Keywords: Aborigine,Outback,crocodile,ranger [military]
- Language: English