Plot & Details
This made-for-cable vampire potboiler is distinguished mainly by the presence of director Stuart Gordon (of Re-Animator fame) and a sadly pallid looking Anthony Perkins in one of his last roles. Radiant Mia Sara plays schoolteacher Catherine Thatcher, whose trip to Budapest in search of her father (whom she has never met) reveals the grim underbelly of Romanian society in the dark days of Ceausescu. In an interesting twist, the dictator's sadistic secret police have become a veritable den of vampires (a barb-tongued breed dating back to Medieval times). Plots within plots unfold to reveal the true identity of Catherine's father. Gordon makes good use of authentic locations and somber atmosphere, blending the standard gothic look with a feel of social and spiritual decay -- but the bland script fails to exploit the metaphorical possibilities of this setting, and the silly horror effects make it hard to take seriously.
- Genre(s): Horror,Thriller
- Run Time: 97min.
- Director(s): Stuart Gordon
- Starring: Mia Sara , Jack Coleman , Robert Reynolds , Dezso Garas
- Themes: Vampires,Fish Out of Water,Americans Abroad
- Tone: Atmospheric,Creepy,Goth,Stylized
- Keywords: daughter, encounter, evidence, father, gathering, schoolteacher, search, Romanian, bloodsucker, family-secrets, identity, nightmare, secret-police, supernatural-forces, town, vampire
- Language: English