Plot & Details
Directed by Joel Zito Araujo, Daughters of the Wind, during its production, featured the largest cast of black actors ever seen in a Brazilian film. The story follows the complex relationship between a set of sisters, mothers, and daughters; a family funeral serves as a starting point for a series of flashbacks from the 1960s and '70s. Though general sexism and gender stereotyping are among the causes for the tension between them, the social and political remnants of slavery present an even more insidious conflict to be dealt with. The film includes Milton Goncalves, Ruth de Souza, Lea Garcia, and Maria Ceica.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 83min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 05/16/2004
- Distributor(s): Riofilmes
- Director(s): Joel Zito Araujo
- Starring: Ruth de Souza , Milton Goncalves , Tais Araujo , Lea Garcia , Maria Ceica
- Themes: Race Relations,Redemption,Mothers and Daughters,Sibling Relationships,Death in the Family
- Tone: Bittersweet,Earnest,Intimate,Poignant,Reflective
- Keywords: cross-cultural-relations, discrimination, family-dynamics, funeral, gender-roles, sexism, social-inequality, social-issues
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (06-25-2004)
- Language: Portuguese