Plot & Details
Following up on his debut As Tears Go By, master filmmaker Wong Kar-Wai directs this dark, brooding tale about identity and unrequited love. Set in 1960, the film center of the young, boyishly handsome Yuddy (Leslie Cheung), who learns from the drunken ex-prostitute who raised him that she is not his real mother. Hoping to hold onto him, she refuses to divulge the name of his real birth mother. The revelation shakes Yuddy to his very core, unleashing a cascade of conflicting emotions. Two women have the bad luck to fall for Yuddy. One is a quiet lass who works at a sport arena named Su Lizhen (Maggie Cheung), while the other is a glitzy showgirl named Mimi (Carina Lau). Perhaps due to his unresolved Oedipal issues, he passively lets the two compete for him, unable or unwilling to make a choice. As Lizhen slowly confides her frustration to a cop named Tide (Andy Lau), he falls for her. The same is true for Yuddy's friend Zeb (Jacky Cheung), who falls for Mimi. Later, Yuddy learns of his birth mother's whereabouts and heads out to the Philippines. This film won a armful of trophies at the Hong Kong Film Awards, including Best Director, Best Actor for Leslie Cheung, and Best Picture.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 94min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/06/2004
- DVD Release Date: 10/19/2004
- Distributor(s): Kino International
- Director(s): Wong Kar-Wai
- Starring: Leslie Cheung , Maggie Cheung , Andy Lau
- Themes: Unrequited Love,Love Triangles,Looking For Love,Mothers and Sons
- Tone: Affectionate,Lyrical,Reflective,Sentimental
- Keywords: Oedipus-Complex, adoption, love-triangle, mother, prostitute/prostitution, unrequited
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (11-19-2004)