Plot & Details
The debut from writer/director Greg Mottola, The Daytrippers follows a Long Island family as they make a disastrous journey into New York City. The impetus is a love letter discovered by suburbanite Eliza (Hope Davis) which seemingly incriminates her publisher husband Louis (Stanley Tucci) in an extramarital affair. To solve the mystery, Eliza, her parents (Anne Meara and Pat McNamara), her oddball sister Jo (Parker Posey) and Jo's boyfriend Carl (Liev Schreiber) all pile into the family station wagon in a misbegotten attempt to track Louis down. Beginning as a playful, satiric look at family dynamics, The Daytrippers occasionally loses its way, becoming increasingly dark and venomous as it rushes towards the revelations of its final moments. For all of its flaws, however, it's often an engaging debut.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 88min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/18/1996
- DVD Release Date: 06/20/2000
- Director(s): Greg Mottola
- Starring: Hope Davis , J. Patrick McNamara , Anne Meara , Parker Posey , Liev Schreiber
- Themes: Eccentric Families,Infidelity,Dysfunctional Families
- Tone: Drab,Humorous,Frantic,Wry,Biting,Cynical,Quirky,Talky
- Keywords: boyfriend, extramarital-affair, family, husband, love-letter, road-trip, sister
- Language: English