Directed by Shona Auerbach, Dear Frankie revolves around nine-year-old Frankie (Jack McElhone) and his mother, Lizzie (Emily Mortimer). The mother and son duo have been on the run for as long as Frankie, who has been deaf for years, can remember. In an effort to protect Frankie from the truth -- that a psychotic father, whose physical abuse caused his hearing loss, is at the root of their constant need to move from one home to the next -- Lizzie pens a series of letters from Frankie's "father" in hopes of assuaging his curiosity. However, when Frankie becomes convinced that his father is taking a break from his exotic adventures and making his way back home, Lizzie must make a tough decision: find another way to pacify Frankie's desire to meet his father or tell him the awful truth.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 102min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/04/2005
- DVD Release Date: 07/05/2005
- Distributor(s): Miramax
- Themes: Starting Over,Living With Disability,Single Parents,Mothers and Sons
- Tone: Bittersweet,Compassionate,Heartwarming,Sentimental,Warm,Earthy
deafness, domestic-violence, father, grandmother, letter, mother, sailor, son
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (03-04-2005)
- Language: English