Plot & Details
Although he enjoyed great critical success with crime dramas and slice-of-life pictures, director Barbet Schroeder continued dabbling in the thriller genre with this action-oriented film. Andy Garcia stars as Frank Conner, a widowed San Francisco police officer whose young son Matt (Joseph Cross) is suffering from leukemia. Without a bone marrow transplant, Matt will die, but Frank isn't a donor. In fact, the only potential match is prison inmate Peter McCabe (Michael Keaton), a psychotic but charming serial killer. At first, McCabe refused to participate despite Conner's pleas, but eventually, the convict relents and agrees to the procedure. It is all a ruse, however, as McCabe has discovered a clever way to escape the confines of the operating room where Matt's oncologist, Dr. Hawkins (Marcia Gay Harden) is scheduled to perform the transplant. Faced with the dual nightmare of his son's deteriorating condition and a mass murderer on the loose in a major metropolitan hospital, the frantic Conner finds himself bending and even breaking the law to bring McCabe down and save Matt's life.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama,Action
- Run Time: 100min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 01/30/1998
- DVD Release Date: 05/27/1998
- Director(s): Barbet Schroeder
- Starring: Michael Keaton , Andy Garcia , Brian Cox , Marcia Gay Harden , Erik King
- Themes: Escape From Prison,Criminal's Revenge,Race Against Time
- Tone: Menacing,Tense,Confrontational,Paranoid,Visceral
- Keywords: battlefield, captive, captor, criminal, death, donation, escape, leukemia, police, prison, prison-escape, race-against-time, son, terminal-illness
- Language: English