Plot & Details
The world finds itself on the brink of nuclear disaster, with the balance point a small diner in Colorado, in the suspenseful political thriller Deterrence. In the year 2008, U.S. President Walter Emerson (Kevin Pollak), who recently took office after the death of the former chief executive, is campaigning for re-election. After winning the Colorado state primary, Emerson finds himself stranded in a roadside diner after a freak snowstorm. Traveling with Emerson are his chief of staff, Marshall Thompson (Timothy Hutton), national security advisor Gayle Redford (Sheryl Lee Ralph) and a network TV crew. While the president exchanges pleasantries with the diner's staff and customers, a new bulletin appears on TV: Udei Hussein, son of the late Saddam Hussein, has invaded Kuwait and butchered several hundred U.S. peace-keeping troops. Outraged, the president announces that if Hussein and his forces do not withdraw and officially surrender, he will begin dropping nuclear weapons on Baghdad. However, Iraq responds that if they are attacked, 23 cities in the United States and allied nations will be immediately destroyed in a counterattack. Emerson, his advisors, and the others trapped in the diner with them debate long and loud about what to do, and what the potential consequences could be. Deterrence was written and directed by former film critic Rod Lurie.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 101min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/10/2000
- DVD Release Date: 08/29/2000
- Distributor(s): Paramount
- Director(s): Rod Lurie
- Starring: Kevin Pollak , Timothy Hutton , Sheryl Lee Ralph , Sean Astin , Clotilde Courau
- Themes: End of the World,Political Unrest
- Tone: Literate,Disturbing,Austere,Claustrophobic,Talky,Tense
- Keywords: President, debate, fight, nuclear-threat, snowstorm, stranded, tension
- Country of Origin: USA (03-10-2000)
- Language: English