Plot & Details
Edgar G. Ulmer's Detour begins when hitchhiker Al Roberts (Tom Neal) accepts a ride from affable gambler Charles Haskell Jr. (Edmund MacDonald). When Haskell suffers a fatal heart attack, Roberts, afraid that he'll be accused of murder, disposes of the body, takes the man's clothes and wallet, and begins driving the car himself. He picks up beautiful but sullen Vera (Ann Savage), who suddenly breaks the silence by asking, "What did you do with the body?" It turns out that Vera had earlier accepted a ride from Haskell and has immediately spotted Roberts as a ringer. Holding the threat of summoning the police over his head, Vera forces Roberts to continue his pose so that he can collect a legacy from Haskell's millionaire father, who hasn't seen his son in years.
- Genre(s): Crime and Mystery,Thriller
- Run Time: 67min.
- DVD Release Date: 09/26/2000
- Distributor(s): Prc
- Director(s): Edgar G. Ulmer
- Starring: Tom Neal , Ann Savage , Claudia Drake , Edmund MacDonald , Tim Ryan
- Themes: Unlikely Criminals,Femmes Fatales
- Tone: Cynical,Disturbing,Downbeat,Bleak
- Keywords: seduction, assumed-identity, car, hitchhiker, inheritance, murder
- Language: English