Plot & Details
Veteran movie heavy Boris Karloff plays a sympathetic role in Devil's Island. Karloff portrays a humanitarian physician, arrested for treating the wounds of a treasonous fugitive. Sent to the Devil's Island penal colony, Dr. Karloff runs afoul of sadistic commandant James Stephenson, who seems obsessed by the guillotine (an execution sequence is one of the film's longest scenes). Stephenson's wife Nedda Harrigan, fed up with her husband's cruelties, aids Karloff in turning the tables on the commandant. Participating in an escape, Karloff makes his way to freedom and clears his name. Devil's Island runs a scant 60 minutes, due to editing demands made by the French consulate in Washington, who felt that the film was detrimental to Franco-American relations.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Foreign,Drama
- Run Time: 62min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/12/1999
- Distributor(s): Artistic Lic.
- Director(s): William B. Clemens
- Starring: Boris Karloff , Nedda Harrigan , James Stephenson , Adia Kuznetzoff , Rolla Gourvitch
- Themes: Miscarriage of Justice
- Keywords: capital-punishment, doctor, escape, guillotine, name-clearing, penal-colony