Plot & Details
A happily married couple discover their friends are not as happy as they thought, and they begin to wonder how sound their own relationship can be, in this made-for-cable adaptation of the Pulitzer Prize-winning play by Donald Margulies. Gabe (Dennis Quaid) and Karen (Andie MacDowell) are a pair of wedded food writers who more than a decade ago introduced their close friends Tom (Greg Kinnear) and Beth (Toni Collette). Tom and Beth fell in love and got married, but one night as Gabe and Karen are making dinner, they receive startling news from Beth -- Tom has left her for another woman, and the two are filing for divorce. Gabe and Karen soon feel as if they are being forced to take sides in the heated battle between Tom and Beth, and as the combative couple separates and both parties move on to new relationships, Gabe and Karen find themselves taking a long, hard look at their own marriage -- and they're not sure how happy they are with what they find. Directed by Norman Jewison, Dinner With Friends was produced for the HBO premium cable network, where it premiered on August 11, 2001.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 105min.
- DVD Release Date: 01/22/2002
- Director(s): Norman Jewison
- Starring: Dennis Quaid , Andie MacDowell , Toni Collette , Greg Kinnear
- Themes: Crumbling Marriages,Faltering Friendships,Breakups and Divorces
- Tone: Autumnal,Biting,Intimate,Poignant,Talky,Stylish
- Keywords: marriage-problems, divorce, extramarital-affair, friendship, husband-and-wife, marital-problems, upper-middle-class, yuppies
- Language: English