Plot & Details
Not a sequel, not really a prequel, sort of a remake, more of a re-imagining, Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights follows the blossoming love affair of young couple Katey (Romola Garai) and Javier (Diego Luna) against the backdrop of the Cuban Revolution in 1958. Katey is an American girl living in Cuba with her parents who meets Javier, a local. Javier takes Katey to a nightclub where he teaches her how to dance dirty Cuban-style. The two grow closer and closer, but when Castro takes over, Katey's parents decide to flee for the U.S., leaving Katey to make the ultimate decision. Tying the film together with the classic 1987 original is Patrick Swayze who reprises the role of Johnny Castle in a cameo.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Drama,Romance
- Run Time: 86min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/27/2004
- DVD Release Date: 07/20/2004
- Distributor(s): Artisan
- Director(s): Guy Ferland
- Starring: Diego Luna , Romola Garai , Sela Ward , John Slattery , Jonathan Jackson
- Themes: Mothers and Daughters,Sibling Relationships,Star-Crossed Lovers,Americans Abroad,Interracial/Cross-Cultural Romance
- Tone: Bittersweet,Passionate,Sentimental,Summery,Tearjerking
- Keywords: American [nationality], Cuba, couple, dance-instructor, girl, life-choices, nightclub, revolution
- Country of Origin: USA (02-27-2004)
- Language: English