Plot & Details
The diva of the title is a famous black opera singer (Wilhelmina Wiggins-Fernandez) who steadfastly refuses to be recorded. The singer is idolized by young French mail-carrier Jules (Frederic Andrei), who sneaks a tape recorder into the theater and records her performance. This is witnessed by a pair of Taiwanese criminals, who unlike Andrei wish to profit from the bootlegged recording. They begin to pursue the boy, as do a couple of home-grown hooligans who believe that Jules is in possession of some murder evidence. The serpentine plot leads to a warm friendship between Jules and the reclusive diva - and to a brilliantly photographed (by Philipe Rousselot) motorcycle chase through the subway tunnels of Paris. Diva marked the directorial debut of Jean-Jacques Beineix, whose obvious fondness for the more esoteric techniques of the Nouvelle Vague never impedes his willingness to simply entertain his audiences.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Action,Crime and Mystery,Drama
- Run Time: 123min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/16/1982
- DVD Release Date: 11/19/1997
- Distributor(s): Rialto Pictures
- Director(s): Jean-Jacques Beineix
- Starring: Frederic Andréi , Wilhelmenia Wiggins Fernandez , Richard Bohringer , Thuy An Luu , Dominique Pinon
- Themes: Witnessing a Crime,Flight of the Innocent
- Tone: Lyrical,Tense,Atmospheric,Stylized,Slick
- Keywords: chase,diva,evidence,gangster,opera-singer,police-corruption,postman,tape [recording]
- Language: French