Plot & Details
Sergio Corbucci crafted one of the most popular and widely imitated of the Italian "spaghetti westerns" of the 1960s with this violent but stylish action saga. A mysterious man named Django (Franco Nero) arrives in a Mexican border town dragging a small coffin behind him. When he attempts to save a woman who is being attacked by a group of bandits, he finds himself in the middle of a conflict between Mexican gangsters and racist Yankee thugs, with the innocent townspeople and a fortune in Mexican gold stuck somewhere in between. Django becomes a force to be reckoned with when it's discovered his coffin actually contains a Gatling gun. Django proved so popular in Europe that over 30 sequels and follow-ups were produced, though Franco Nero would not return to the role until 1987's Django 2: Il Grande Ritorno (the only sequel endorsed by Corbucci), which proved to be the last film in the series.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Westerns
- Run Time: 90min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 12/21/2012
- DVD Release Date: 09/24/2002
- Distributor(s): Rialto (rerelease)
- Director(s): Sergio Corbucci
- Starring: Franco Nero , Loredana Nusciak , Eduardo Fajardo , Jose Bodalo
- Themes: Lone Wolves,Mysterious Strangers
- Tone: Cathartic,Menacing,Tense,Atmospheric,Visceral,Gritty,Quirky
- Keywords: outlaw [Western], stranger, KKK (Ku Klux Klan), border-town, one-against-odds, robbery
- Country of Origin: Italy (04-06-1966),USA - Limited (12-21-2012)
- Language: Italian