Plot & Details
Comic Chris Rock co-scripted and stars in this remake of 1941's Here Comes Mr. Jordan, which was also remade with Warren Beatty in 1978 as Heaven Can Wait. Comedian Lance Barton (Rock) is struggling to get his career off the ground when he dies in an untimely bus accident; arriving at the Pearly Gates, he discovers that he's not supposed to have passed on for another 50 years. Barton is not happy with this turn of events, and eventually the Powers That Be send his spirit back to Earth, but for the time being he has to make do with the body of a middle-aged, closed-minded millionaire, Charles Wellington. Lance falls in love with a young community activist (Regina King), but he soon finds he has bigger problems at home: the millionaire's wife and her lover are both trying to kill him. The supporting cast includes Mark Addy as an actor passing himself off as an English manservant, Chazz Palminteri as Mr. King, Heaven's no-nonsense manager, and Eugene Levy as Mr. Keyes, the angel who accidentally ends Barton's life.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 87min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/16/2001
- DVD Release Date: 07/10/2001
- Distributor(s): Paramount
- Director(s): Chris Weitz, Paul Weitz
- Starring: Chris Rock , Regina King , Chazz Palminteri , Eugene Levy , Frankie R. Faison
- Themes: Class Differences,Fish Out of Water,Supernatural Romance,Reincarnation
- Tone: Bright,Fanciful,Goofy,Humorous,Irreverent,Upbeat
- Keywords: activism, afterlife, death, heaven, love, murder, reincarnation, wife
- Country of Origin: USA (02-16-2001)
- Language: English