Plot & Details
Set in the world of Russian immigrants living in New York City, Downtown Express uses music to explore the clash of old world values against the lure and excitement of a new country. Under the watch of his loving but overbearing father, virtuoso violinist and Juilliard student Sasha (Grammy nominee 'Philippe Quint') prepares for a critical recital meant to launch his career. Yet, he is increasingly drawn to the rhythms of the streets of New York, and when he meets singer-songwriter Ramona (acclaimed recording artist 'Nellie McKay'), he joins her band, falls in love, and begins to lead a double life, careening frantically between two worlds. As his classical debut nears, Sasha must decide whether to break with his father and forge his own destiny.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 90min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/20/2012
- Distributor(s): International Film Circuit
- Director(s): David Grubin
- Starring: Philippe Quint , Nellie McKay , Michael Cumpsty , Carolyn McCormick , Ashley Springer
- Themes: Fathers and Sons,Crisis of Conscience,Musician's Life
- Keywords: Russian [nationality], career, cello, music, musician, scholarship, violinist
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (04-20-2012)
- Language: English