Plot & Details
This drama takes place in Somerset, England in 1958. Eva is a twenty-year-old woman who fantasizes about travel, painting, classic books, and the attention of Joseph Lees, her second cousin, with whom she fell in love as a girl. Joseph, whom she has not seen for four years, is the only member of the family who has managed to get away from the stale domestic cycle. He has recently been injured in a truck accident and Eva imagines herself curing his wounds. She conceals her obsession from everyone except her sister, the precocious Janie, who is twelve years old. Reality is far away from Eva's dreams. Her artistic endeavors are confined to a local drawing class; she works for a meager salary at a dirty sawmill and the only male around to appreciate her female charm is the local pig farmer, Harry Flyte. Harry's sister Maria is anxious to marry off her brother so that she can be free to do as she pleases. Eva moves in with Harry, but when she meets Joseph at a family gathering, the old flame is rekindled. However, Harry is not so easy to get rid of. Dreaming of Joseph Lees is a family drama and the first feature of Eric Styles.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 92min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/29/1999
- Distributor(s): Fox
- Director(s): Eric Styles
- Starring: Samantha Morton , Lee Ross , Rupert Graves , Holly Aird , Miriam Margolyes
- Themes: Love Triangles,Star-Crossed Lovers,Unrequited Love
- Tone: Atmospheric,Autumnal,Bittersweet,Bleak,Compassionate,Downbeat,Melancholy,Moody
- Keywords: car-crash,cousin,farmer,forbidden-love,sawmill
- Country of Origin: USA (10-29-1999)