Plot & Details
Great special effects do not always make for a great film, but Dreamscape comes awfully close. Dr. Paul Novotny (Max Von Sydow) and Dr. Jane Devries (Kate Capshaw) run a clinic for the study of dreams. Hoping to alleviate the pain of those plagued with recurring nightmares, Novotny hires a team of psychics to "inhabit" the subconsciouses of the patients. Alex Gardner (Dennis Quaid), a small-time hustler who uses his ESP gifts for financial gains, is hired to work at the clinic. He helps to disperse the fears of a young nightmare-plagued boy, then reverts to type by "raping" the thoughts of the lovely Dr. Devries. Things come to a head when one of the patients, the American president (Eddie Albert), decides to purge himself of his apocalyptic dreams by making a lasting peace with the Soviets. Bob Blair (Christopher Plummer), the political reactionary who finances the clinic, decides to assassinate the president by acting upon Dr. Novotny's pet theory: if a person dies in his or her dream, he/she will die in real life. The finale pits Gardner against psychic assassin Tommy Ray Glatman (David Patrick Kelly).
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Drama,Science Fiction,Thriller
- Run Time: 99min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 01/30/2005
- DVD Release Date: 06/06/2000
- Director(s): Joseph Ruben
- Starring: Dennis Quaid , Max von Sydow , Christopher Plummer , Eddie Albert , Kate Capshaw
- Themes: Conspiracies,Psychic Abilities
- Tone: Chilly,Creepy,Disturbing,Dreamlike,Hallucinatory,Menacing,Ominous,Paranoid
- Keywords: assassination,dream,dreams,good-vs-evil,nightmare,psychic,science-runs-amok,supernatural-forces
- Language: English