Plot & Details
A sad sack has to come to term with his own demons after a long run of bad luck in this downbeat comedy drama from writer and director Matt Mulhern. Duane Hopwood (David Schwimmer) lives and works in Atlantic City, where he's a pit boss on the night shift at one of the city's resort hotels, and has a wife, Linda (Janeane Garofalo), and two young daughters, Mary (Ramya Pratt) and Kate (Rachel Covey). Duane also has a drinking problem, and while Linda loves him very much, she's begin to wonder if he's still capable of living up to his responsibilities as a father. The final straw comes when Duane gets arrested for drunk driving while Kate is in the car with him; Linda files for divorce, and the court opts not to give Duane visitation rights. With Duane struggling to hold on to his family, he gets more bad news when he loses his job after he's caught giving money to an argumentative customer to shut him up. With only his friends from work to keep him company -- Anthony (Judah Friedlander), a maintenance man who wants to be a comedian, and Gina (Susan Lynch), a kind-hearted bartender -- Duane realizes he's come to a crossroads where he has to get his life back on track before he loses what little he still has left. Duane Hopwood also features supporting performances from Dick Cavett and Jerry Grayson.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 83min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/11/2005
- DVD Release Date: 04/25/2006
- Distributor(s): IFC
- Director(s): Matt Mulhern
- Starring: David Schwimmer , Janeane Garofalo , Judah Friedlander , Susan Lynch , Dick Cavett
- Themes: Alcoholism,Down on Their Luck,Breakups and Divorces
- Tone: Compassionate,Downbeat,Humorous,Wry
- Keywords: alcoholism, casino, drunk, drunk-driving, father
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (11-11-2005)
- Language: English