Plot & Details
Set in the mid 1960s, this drama follows the difficult relationship between a woman afflicted with multiple sclerosis, her husband -- a prep school teacher -- and one of his students. The story begins as Helen dreams of flying and reaching for something she cannot quite see. She is married to Bill, a loving but rather stern fellow. When not coping with her illness and trying to raise their two children, Helen tutors a student, the idealistic Dave, who though intelligent, does not work hard in school. Dave is secretly infatuated with Helen and dislikes her husband both as a teacher and romantic rival. Meanwhile, Helen continues to feel herself leaving her body at night. This feeling persists until she falls into a coma. Meanwhile Bill and Dave clash over her, not realizing that while her body is inert, her mind and spirit are very much aware of their struggle.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama,Romance
- Run Time: 120min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/27/1998
- DVD Release Date: 10/26/1999
- Distributor(s): Paramount
- Director(s): Howard Goldberg
- Themes: Love Triangles,Living With Disability,Teachers and Students
- Tone: Bittersweet,Earnest,Elegiac,Poignant
- Keywords: coma, disease, husband, infatuation, love-triangle, multiple-sclerosis, rival, student, handicap, love, teacher
- Language: English